Final Piece

Final Piece

About the Blog

This blog is a representation of my working progress as an Artist and Writing. Everything here is an example of my work and a journey through my working. It acts as a documentation of various projects, ideas and rough experiments, starting from my time at University and beyond.

10/05/2015

Work | Observations | How we respond to words in the form of writing and speaking

I’ve started to notice how people may respond to the written language and also that spoke to them. Firstly looking at how we may read of misread signs, I have noticed how people only glance or skim read notices when they are on the go. For example a sign in a shop may clearly state buy one get one half price, however during my weekend job in a newsagents I noticed that customers in a rush saw the buy one part of the sign and instantly finished this off as get one free. This then resulting in a mixture of embarrassment or anger of being wrongly sold something. I’ve also observed this misreading personally, for example the other day I went to pull the ticket from the machine on the bus as I always do like everyone else. I didn’t realise the massive sign stuck to the machine saying do not pull the ticket until it was too late. At this point I had only noticed the huge DO NOT, which I instantly related to the ticket situation as the ticket didn’t tear as normal. This was then met with an angry “Do not pull the ticket, tear it off” from the driver. I instantly responded to the verbal instruction over the written one and I wasn’t the only one to do so. What I noticed here was how we don’t always instantly react to a hand written sign, either we have less value or the pen on white paper doesn’t capture our attention as much as say a huge red stop sign does on the road. But then again we look out for signs like these as they appear everyday. Hand written signs are more of a response to a change in the everyday. And if we are going through life as normal we don’t expect the change or look out for it. Where as a verbal command or instruction is more likely to capture our attention, maybe because we listen out for what people might say to us or we are more likely to respond to sound.

Another example is the way we say something can outweighs the content of what we are actually saying. For example while watching gogglebox I noticed how the viewers were laughing at Ed Miliband during a elections debate because of the slight lisp and shake in the way he talks. He may have had good policies and been saying the most relevant things that would benefit the viewers however their responses to him were negative in comparison to David Cameron whose well spoken voice made for what seemed a much more trust worthy speech just for the way he spoke rather than what he was actually saying.


Another observation is this internal voice we have when we read, it is your own personal voice and internal dialogue for when you read. I’ve always wondered how other people’s internal voices may sound, is it their own voice or an interpretation of how they think their own voice may sound. Or is it something completely different? Personally I’ve never paid much attention to how this voice sounds until it was pointed out to me. I feel mine is more an interpretation of how I think my actual voice sounds.